Menu
  PHOTO GALLERY GROUP 9
 
145
146
147
148
149
150
151
152
153
154
155
156
157
158
159
160
 

Top: A fine Yorkshire sunset photographed from the top of the cutting on the Trans Pennine Trail at Wortley, near Barnsley, where our photographer believes a much older tramway crossed the route. (Richard Lewis)

 
Above: This year's Chairman's Walk included an opportunity to follow the trackbed of the Somerset & Dorset Railway from Bath Green Park to Midford. This is the view through Lyncombe Vale, looking south towards Combe Down Tunnel. Although the trees have encroached immensely since Ivo Peters used to photograph trains here, the trackbed remains clear and easy to walk. 15 May 2005. (Ivor Sutton)
 
Above: Looking north from the south end of Midford Viaduct. Until 2004, the viaduct was an impenetrable tangle of trees. Now, however, Sustrans has cleared the trackbed and carried out much-needed repairs to ensure the long-term survival of the structure. At the moment, the trail stops a hundred yards behind the photographer, but negotiations are in hand to continue to Wellow and, eventually, Shoscombe. A railway path already utilises the trackbed from Shoscombe to Radstock and Midsomer Norton. 15 May 2005. (Ivor Sutton)
 
Above: The way things were at Midford in the 1960s. This view is taken from a similar position to the present day picture above. The double-headed southbound train is almost certainly a Pines Express for Bournemouth. The railings on the left identify the start of Midford Viaduct, which was the end of the single line section from Bath; the third coach is just running on to the double track. The stump of the signal can still be found in the undergrowth. (Ivor Sutton)
 
Above: Ash Green station in Surrey was situated on the direct line from Guildford to Farnham via Tongham. The route lost its passenger service as long ago as July 1937, although freight services survived – over sections at least – until January 1961. From a point near Ash Junction to the site of Tongham station, the route is now an attractive railway walk, but beyond Tongham the trackbed has been claimed for improvements to the A31 road. 2 October 2004. (Kevin Arnold)
 
Above: Autumn shadows lengthen as a group of Southern Area members walk through the remains of Woolmer Depot on the Longmoor Military Railway. Ten parallel sidings were situated here, together with some large loading docks, which still survive. Sections of rail have been left in place where the sidings crossed the concrete road; presumably, removing them would have caused too much damage. 13 November 2004. (Kevin Arnold)
 
Left: One of the benefits of walking outside the golden days of summer is all that can be seen when the leaves have fallen. A home signal lies in the undergrowth near Whitehill on the Longmoor Military Railway. The signal post (like so much else on the LMR) is made of concrete, but the signal arm is marked LMS – the London, Midland & Scottish Railway. Could this have been imported when the LMR was training civilian crews for the 'big four' railway companies, 24 hours a day, during World War 2? 13 November 2004. (Kevin Arnold)
 

Above: Until 1908 or 1909 – no one knows the date exactly – a funicular railway operated from near the village of Poynings to Devil's Dyke (both are in East Sussex, north west of Brighton). The purpose was to bring custom to the nearby Devil's Dyke Hotel, but unfortunately a good tea room in Poynings attracted customers the other way ... which may have something to do with the railway's early closure! The concrete structure in the foreground is all that remains of the upper station. An island platform built from timber extended over the drop, with the two rail cars using alternating platform faces as they traversed the gradient which, at its steepest, was 1 in 1½. 4 December 2004. (Kevin Arnold)