Menu
  PHOTO GALLERY GROUP 14
 
145
146
147
148
149
150
151
152
153
154
155
156
157
158
159
160
 

Above: Shortly after our party had crossed Glen Ogle Viaduct (see Group 13 photos), this fine footbridge was encountered. This may seem of extravagant construction to the 'motorway generation' used to racing under concrete bridges of generally ugly design (think in terms of the M1 near London), but this is a lot nicer to look at, and the different colours inside and out lift the bridge's appearance. May 2006. (Bob Prigg)

 
Above: Who'd want to go tracing old railways in Scotland? Anyone with an eye for this kind of scenery, we would say. This is Lochearnhead Viaduct, on the Caledonian Railway's former line from Balquhidder to Crieff. The tree-lined trackbed can be seen curving away from the far end of the viaduct towards the shore of Loch Earn. Balquhidder to Crieff closed in stages, with Balquhidder to Comrie going on 1st October 1951, and Comrie to Crieff following on 6th July 1964. Balquhidder was the junction with the Callander to Crianlarich line, which features in our Group 13 photos. May 2006. (Bob Prigg)
 
Above: The entrance to Balquhidder station survives, but it's been a long time since this 'concertina barrier' was opened for railway business. The letterbox in the wall – provided, of course, for the convenience of passengers – remains a feature of many stations, both open and closed, while the enamel tiles in the subway are another classic railway feature. May 2006. (Bob Prigg)
 
Above: We're back in the south west now, with a photograph of the former Showerings offices and ornamental gardens in Shepton Mallet – as viewed from Charlton Viaduct on the former Somerset & Dorset Railway. This visit was arranged by Mark Jones of the club's North Western Area, with the kind consent of the Constellation Group, which now owns both the viaduct and factory. Showerings, once a Somerset brewery, made its name with Babycham, the 'original champagne perry'. Perry is to pears what cider is to apples, so Babycham is essentially a champagne style drink made from fermented pear juice – and very popular it was, too, following its launch in 1953. April 2006. (Ivor Sutton)
 
Above: The North Western Area's track-bashing gang, including a few Yorkshire members, and a South Western member behind the camera. Showerings wisely tarmacked the surface of the viaduct to keep out rainwater and protect it from frost damage. This visit formed part of a whole week of railway-themed events in Somerset. April 2006. (Ivor Sutton)
 

Left: Mark Jones's week in Somerset also included a visit to the East Somerset Railway at Cranmore, where special permission had been obtained to walk the company's line towards Shepton Mallet at a time when no scheduled trains were running. One of the more unusual features on the platform of Cranmore station is this K4 'Vermillion Giant' telephone kiosk. The K4 was adapted from Giles Gilbert Scott's K2 design of 1924, but elongated the square 'footprint' of the K2 to include a postbox and two stamp machines, which effectively provided a mini post office. (The K2 remains a classic design to this day, whose qualities are readily appreciated by comparison with the modern and near invisible 'grey booth' now used by British Telecom.) The K4 was not a success since damp or humid weather caused the rolls of stamps to stick together, while the 'clunk' caused by customers operating the stamp machines alarmed people using the telephone. Production of these monsters ran from 1930 to 1935, but only 50 were ever built, which makes this specimen an extremely rare survivor. April 2006. (Ivor Sutton)

 
Above: The club's AGM Walk in 2006 followed the popular 'Cole Greenway', a railway path from Hertford East to Welwyn Garden City. The members seen here, from left to right, are Bob Hipgrave, Geoff Sargeant and Paul Hudson. Bob joked that you 'can see who the fit ones are', but the webmaster thinks that Geoff Sargeant only looks like that because he is taking off his jacket in the spring sunshine. The fittest one of all appears to be Bob's dog! March 2006. (Bob Hipgrave)