Menu
  PHOTO GALLERY GROUP 31
 
145
146
147
148
149
150
151
152
153
154
155
156
157
158
159
160
 

Above: Devizes Tunnel in Wiltshire is now the home to a local rifle club, as can be seen here. The line through the town was once part of the GWR's main route from London to Bristol, but faster cut-off lines marooned it on a rural byway until it closed on 18 April 1966. The 190 yd. tunnel burrowed under Devizes Castle, which no doubt explains the crenellations on the portal. We presume, therefore, that the castle's 19th century owner was in favour of the railway being built! July 2008. (Ivor Sutton)

 
Above: The approach to Stalbridge station on the former Somerset & Dorset Railway. The running rails and check rails still remain in place, while the sign for 'Station Road Business Park' reminds passers-by that local residents could once catch a train here bound for either Bournemouth or Bath. However, the second sign – for Bob's MOTs – proclaims the ultimate victory of the car in this part of north Dorset. October 2006. (Tom Scott)
 
Above: Staying with the S&D, this is the trackbed ten miles south of Stalbridge, just north of Gains Cross. This section of the former railway is now part of the North Dorset Trailway, seen here at its junction with the Wessex Ridgeway. Regular visitors to this site will be aware that the North Dorset Trailway is a long term project that seeks to re-use the southern half of the S&D as a multi-use path. The photographer is a member of the committee of the Trailway Network, a local community group which supports and assists the Dorset local authorities in this work. Summer 2007. (Graham Rains)
 
Above: The Ystwyth Trail near the site of Ystradmeurig Castle. This 34 km trail (ca. 22 miles) is based largely on the former GWR branch line between Aberystwyth and Tregaron; the railway originally continued on to Carmarthen. As can be seen, the trail has a good surface and still looks very new, although the banks will turn green rapidly as grass and other plants take hold. This was the site of a small rail-over-road bridge where the local authority has re-graded the embankment. A lone sheep looks on, possibly wondering why there's so little grass to eat. July 2008. (Bob Morgan)
 
Above: Another view of the Ystwyth Trail, this time on the edge of Ystradmeurig – the railway path leads off from the centre foreground and then curves away under the trees in the far left. Ystradmeurig is a very small and remote community once served by Strata Florida station. The unusual Latin name ('blankets of flowers') derives from the local Cistercian abbey, the remains of which are situated about 2½ miles to the south east, beyond nearby Pontrhydfendigaid on the B4340. July 2008. (Bob Morgan)
 
Above: The former GWR station at Much Wenlock survives in excellent condition as 'Station House', as can be seen from this fine study. For 8 miles between Farley and Longville (which are situated either side of Much Wenlock), the 100 mile Jack Mytton Way uses surviving sections of the GWR's old Wenlock Edge branch, carefully waymarked to circumnavigate obstructions and sections where there is no public access. 20 March 2008. (Bob Prigg)
 
Above: Close by Much Wenlock station, the former GWR goods shed still stands, now tastefully converted into residential accommodation. This building adjoined the town's original station, which was a terminus on the Much Wenlock & Severn Junction Railway (Much Wenlock to Buildwas, opened in 1862). A new station was constructed when this branch became part of a through route thanks to the Wenlock Railway (Much Wenlock to Craven Arms, opened throughout in 1867). According to the Much Wenlock online guide, 'The railway was started in 1850 by Dr. William Penny Brookes, town father, entrepreneur and founder of the modern day Olympic Games'. Presumably, the railway referred to here was the MW&SJR, the earlier of the two companies. 20 March 2008. (Bob Prigg)
 
Above: Still in Much Wenlock, this former passenger shelter now serves as the local bowling club's pavilion and club house. The Webmaster is not sure if this is part of the town's first or second station, so please get in touch via the e-mail link on our Contact page if you know the answer. 20 March 2008. (Bob Prigg)