Menu
  PHOTO GALLERY GROUP 115
 
145
146
147
148
149
150
151
152
153
154
155
156
157
158
159
160
 
The AGM Walk, 2015. This year's AGM walks were in the Rugby area  and took in the Great Central line through the town as well as most of the former LNWR cross-country line from Leamington Spa, which is represented below. This page is rounded off with a couple of photographs from the Hayling Island branch, east of Portsmouth, which were taken on the Southern Area's pre-Christmas walk.
Above: This overbridge is situated on NCN41 which uses part of the LNWR's former line from Leamington Spa to Rugby. The unusual features are the two surviving smoke deflectors, which were commonplace until the late 1960s but are now exceedingly rare except on preserved railways. 17th May 2015. (Jeff Vinter)
 
Above: A close up of the smoke deflector above the westbound line for Leamington Spa. Presumably, this will be removed when someone from 'Health and Safety' deems its fixings to be weakening. 17th May 2015. (Jeff Vinter)
 
Above: By far the most impressive feature on the old Leamington-Rugby line is this huge viaduct just west of Marton Junction which carries Ridgeway Lane high above the now empty trackbed. Marton Junction was where a separate line diverged to Weedon via Southam and Daventry. Until 1985, a freight service operated between the cement works at Rugby and Southam, with a reversal at Marton, but in that year all traffic was transferred to road and the line closed. 17th May 2015. (Jeff Vinter)
 
Above: The viaduct at Marton Junction is constructed from wrought iron with trussed lattice girders; its construction has been described as 'pioneering'. This is the view of the north west corner. 17th May 2015. (Jeff Vinter)
 
Above: This is the view of the south corner. Once this structure used to take regular traffic along Hunningham Hill Road, but now it accommodates only a farm track and public footpath. 17th May 2015. (Jeff Vinter)
 
Above: There are several viaducts on the Leamington-Rugby line, including this one near Marton Moor (grid reference SP 402675), but they are very difficult to photograph. There is no way down below and, even if there were, the vegetation has grown to a height of 20ft or more. There were bramble branches beneath the arches of this viaduct that were getting on for the size of trees. 17th May 2015. (Jeff Vinter)
 
Above: Birdingbury station (SP 433692) is now a private residence, and somewhat extended to judge from this photograph; the attractive country style of the building is very obvious. It opened with the line in 1851 but closed in 1953, six years before passenger services were withdrawn from the line on 15th June 1959. It cannot have sold many tickets, which is hardly surprising when a study of the map reveals that it was surrounded by nothing but fields and tiny villages. 17th May 2015. (Jeff Vinter)
 

Above: A group from the Southern Area heading south off towards North Hayling from the embankment that once carried the former Hayling Island branch off of the wooden trestle viaduct over Langstone Harbour. The signal is a recent addition by Havant Borough Council. 5th December 2015. (Peter Drury)

 
Above: The same party outside the former Hayling Island goods shed, which has now been turned into a theatre by the Hayling Island Amateur Dramatic Society. The station stood to the left of the shed, out of shot, but was demolished many years ago. 5th December 2015. (Peter Drury)