Menu
  PHOTO GALLERY GROUP 134
 
145
146
147
148
149
150
151
152
153
154
155
156
157
158
159
160
 
Lost Railways of Glasgow (Part 5). The final section of Chris Jennings' Glasgow odyssey includes scenes from around Glasgow St. Enoch's, which closed in 1966 and was demolished in 1977. It was as large a station as any eradicated in the post-Beeching orgy of railway destruction. Useful links, e.g. to network maps, will be found in the introduction to Photo Gallery 130.

Above: The modern glass edifice of St. Enoch Centre, which from this side has a pleasing 'railwayish' look about it, stands on the site of the old St. Enoch terminus station, which was opened by the City of Glasgow Union Railway in 1876. The building on the right is the former St. Enoch station on the Glasgow underground, which has now been converted into a café. 23rd July 2004. (Finlay McWalter, used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation Licence, Version 1.2)

 
Above: In case anyone thinks that St. Enoch's Centre is particularly large, this archive photograph depicts the massive St. Enoch's Station Hotel. The St. Enoch's station complex was situated at grid reference NS 589649, on the east side of the modern Glasgow Central station. In order to envisage this in context, readers might like to click the link here to view an extract from the 1957 one-inch Ordnance Survey map of Glasgow, held at the National Library of Scotland. Photograph dated 1879. (James Valentine; in the public domain according to Wikipedia as Accession No. 15/5/3090.01222 in the A.D. White Architectural Photographs Collection)
 
Above: The viaduct which carried the railway into St. Enoch's station from the south. Trains heading here crossed the River Clyde on the viaduct at NS 593645, which is still in use. After coming off the viaduct, St. Enoch's traffic took the west curve (now removed) whereas, today, all trains must take the east curve to Belgrove and beyond. 2nd April 2016. (Chris Jennings)
 
Above: The viaduct which carried the railway into St. Enoch's station from the north. This is the view at the junction of Osborne Street and King Street at NS 595648. 2nd April 2016. (Chris Jennings)
 
Above: 'Underneath the arches'. A view along Osborne Street of the former viaduct by which trains bound for St. Enoch's accessed the station . 2nd April 2016. (Chris Jennings)
 
Above: A second view of the former Glasgow underground station at St. Enoch's. The glass structure catching the light behind this building is the modern entrance to this subway station. 2nd April 2016. (Chris Jennings)
 
Above: Immediately west of the St. Enoch's area, just along the River Clyde, this viaduct carries the modern railway into Glasgow Central. The piers in the foreground, made from Dalbeattie granite, formed part of an earlier viaduct which was demolished in 1966-67. 2nd April 2016. (Chris Jennings)
 

Left: This close-up of one of the piers seen in the photograph above reveals that it is covered in inscriptions. Who would have read those? The last three rows of the writing read 'ALL GREATNESS STANDS FIRM IN THE STORM', and, above them, the same text appears in ancient Greek. They must have had very erudite fish in the Clyde when this was built. 2nd April 2016. (Chris Jennings)