Above: Oundle station in Northants was on the former LNWR line from Northampton to Peterborough via Wansford, which is now the western terminus of the preserved Nene Valley Railway. This route closed to passengers on 4th May 1964, but Oundle station was still there in 1975 when this picture was taken. While a housing estate now occupies most of the station forecourt, the main building has survived, as can be seen below. (Clive Richardson)
Above: Oundle station as photographed from the nearby river bridge on 30th July 2005. The Wellingborough platform survives along with the main building, although the privacy hedges partly obscure the ground floor. Presumably these hedges have been kept to a modest height in order to provide the new owners with a view. The missing chimney pot on the right hand chimney stack has been replaced, although in a different colour to the original. Not surprisingly, the tall vent from the old gents toilet has disappeared. (Bruce Varney)

Above: Yarwell Viaduct, Northants, photographed in 1975. The lines from Peterborough to Northampton and Market Harborough diverged at Yarwell Junction, just west of Wansford. This area was great for viaduct spotters, for there were two on the Market Harborough line and one on the Northampton line, all within a quarter of a square mile. Yarwell was the largest of the viaducts, situated at grid reference TL 076969, and, amazingly, it's still there as the westernmost stub of the Nene Valley Railway, just beyond Wansford Tunnel. (Clive Richardson) Update: In early 2005, we were informed that Yarwell Viaduct has now been demolished.

Above: Another view of Yarwell Viaduct, Northants, also from 1975. It is possible to cruise on the River Nene between Northampton and Peterborough, and this is an excellent way to view the old railway bridges that still cross the river. The club is very grateful to the photographer for these excellent period views. (Clive Richardson)
Left: It is surprising what one finds when tracing the remains of old railways. Before the Severn Tunnel was opened between Pilning and Severn Tunnel Junction (on the Welsh side), a ferry service was provided for the benefit of rail passengers. The upper plaque reads: "This plaque is to commemorate the crossings of John and Charles Wesley, founders of Methodism, on their journeys to Wales and Ireland from the ferry near the English stones during the 18th century. Dedicated for the 250th anniversary of their conversion. May 28th 1988." The second plaque reads: "South Wales Union Railway. This is the remains of the terminal pier where train passengers embarked for Portskewett, 1863-1888." If only all old railway sites declared their history as clearly as this! (Clive Richardson)
Above: There's another way of crossing the River Severn nowadays – the new Severn road bridge. Passing beneath the main span is The Waverley, the last steam-powered triple expansion engined paddle steamer in service. Old and new engineering; old and new transport. The new road bridge is about half a mile down river from the old ferry terminal, referred to in the previous photograph. (Clive Richardson)
Left: It is not often that one comes across an old railway line that looks as if train services might be restored with relative ease, but the Rye & Camber Tramway in East Sussex is one example. Although the light has an autumnal quality, this view near the line's Golf Links Halt was taken on 11 June 2005. The building at the halt also survives in fine condition and can be viewed by clicking here. The state of the track in this picture is remarkable considering that, at the Rye terminus, the rails couldn't be seen for weeds when the tramway company was wound up just after World War 2. (Stuart Pickford)