Lost Railways of Dartmoor by Chris Bedford (Part 1). This collection of photographs was taken in 2010 by Chris Bedford, who runs Dumpman Films, a small documentary company that specialises in disued railways, derelict industrial sites, etc. The photographs here were taken either from public rights of way or with the permission of the owners.

Above: This is the scene from the road bridge to the south of Mary Tavy station, looking towards Plymouth – a once famous railway location where the GWR's single track branch line from Plymouth to Tavistock and Launceston ran alongside the LSWR's double track main line from Plymouth to Tavistock and Okehampton. Thus there were three tracks here, all serving substantially the same places– a classic example of the route duplication that Dr. Beeching so disliked. The GWR line is in the foreground, with the LSWR route at a slightly higher level on the left. The concrete gangers' hut seen near the top of the picture is a reminder of the LSWR line's subsequent operation by the Southern Railway. Spring 2010. (Chris Bedford)

Above: A classic GWR boundary marker, located in the undergrowth near Mary Tavy. The lettering on the outer ring reads 'GREAT WESTERN RAILWAY', while the word 'BOUNDARY' and the date of 1895 are still legible in the centre of the design. These markers were usually mounted on a long length of bridge rail buried deep in the ground, the bridge rail being scrap material after the GWR's conversion from broad to standard gauge in 1892. Sections of bridge rail were also used for fence posts and can be seen to this day alongside many former GWR branch lines. Spring 2010. (Chris Bedford)
Above: This forlorn and wasted looking place is Lydford, where the GWR and LSWR lines from Plymouth diverged, the former to Launceston and the latter to Okehampton and, ultimately, Waterloo. The concrete units which form the visible platform edge reveal the Southern Railway's stewardship of this station from 1923 onwards, since the SR was a large scale user of pre-fabricated concrete and had factories producing this material at both Exmouth Junction in Exeter and Ashford in Kent. Spring 2010. (Chris Bedford)
Above: This is the view looking along the approach road to Yelverton station, taken from an accommodation bridge which crosses the entire site. Characteristic GWR railings can be seen on the left hand side. Spring 2010. (Chris Bedford)
Above: The family which owns Yelverton station site has left it to nature for many years. Services from Yelverton to Princetown were withdrawn on 5th March 1956, with the main line from Plymouth to Launceston hanging on until 31st December 1962. The railings seen here in the background form a link with the picture above, while the tree growing out of the platform wall indicates what happens to a structure if vegetation is left unchecked for nearly 50 years! Spring 2010. (Chris Bedford)
Above: This is the Princetown platform at Yelverton, looking south towards Princetown. Leaf litter, roots and branches have raised considerably what used to be the trackbed level. Spring 2010. (Chris Bedford)
Above: Immediately north of Yelverton station, trains heading towards Tavistock and Launceston passed through the 641 yd. Yelverton Tunnel, which burrows beneath the A386 above. Spring 2010. (Chris Bedford)
Left: The northern portal of Yelverton Tunnel, looking north towards Horrabridge, the next station. Devon County Council now has official access to most of the line from Horrabridge to Tavistock and is converting it into Drake's Trail which, when complete, will provide a substantially off-road walking and cycling route from Tavistock to Plymouth. The trail will not pass through Yelverton station or tunnel, but already a railway path exists from Clearbrook, south of Yelverton, to Marsh Mills on the eastern edge of Plymouth. Spring 2010. (Chris Bedford)