Above: Grenofen Tunnel, Devon, shortly after it had been opened by Devon County Council as part of the new Drake's Trail, which links Tavistock with Plymouth, largely via the former GWR branch line from Launceston. The tunnel is a little wet and has low level lighting near to ground level. September 2012. (Bob Spalding)

Above: A view from inside Grenofen Tunnel looking north towards Tavistock. At the south end, i.e. behind the photographer, the railway path leads on to the new Gem Bridge – see Photo Gallery 65 for further details. North of the tunnel, the trail continues on the trackbed for a few hundred yards and then heads diagonally across a field on the start of its non-railway approach to Tavistock via Tavistock College – no doubt the old GWR line within the town had been sold off in pieces and re-developed, making a new route the only option available. If you want a bit more railway walking, there is a link path at Tavistock College that will take you across to the pre-existing railway path that re-uses the Southern Railway's old line through the town; this is worth doing for the views from the substantial viaduct just south of the former Tavistock North station. September 2012. (Bob Spalding)
Above: The incline at Portreath in Cornwall was built by the Hayle Railway in 1838 but ended up serving the Great Western, which operated the old HR's line until 1936 as its goods-only branch from near Carn Brea. This is the raised northern end of the incline, where it crosses the Portreath's Glenfeadon Terrace; it is a Grade II listed structure, a relatively rare survivor from the age of horse-drawn tramways. The course of the branch can be walked from near the top of the incline to Illogan, thanks partly to Cornwall's Mineral Tramways Project; it is hoped that the incline itself will be incorporated into this route, but the Project's map sin January 2013 showed that this was still awaiting a creation order. 9th June 2012. (Jeff Vinter)
Above: A row of stone sleepers can still be seen near Wheal Plenty in the trackbed of the former Portreath Tramroad, which opened in 1812 to link the copper mines around Scorrier and St. Day with the harbour at Portreath. The club's former secretary Robin Wade is just rounding the corner with his grandson. 9th June 2012. (Jeff Vinter)
Left: Anyone arriving at Pentewan via National Cycle Network route 3 from St. Austell might think that these 2ft 6in gauge rails near the village's silted up harbour are relics of the former Pentewan Railway, whose trackbed now largely forms the modern cycle trail. However, these are relics of the later Pentewan Sand & Block Works, founded in 1907, which inherited a number of wagons from the Pentewan Railway (which closed in 1918). This company also took to manufacturing concrete blocks, which were used in the construction of a number of houses in the area, especially in and around St. Austell. 10th June 2012. (Jeff Vinter)
Above: Limpley Stoke station, once the junction for the branch line to Camerton (of 'Titfield Thunderbolt' fame), is on the still operational ex-GWR line from Bath to Westbury. It is a remarkable survivor. It lost its passenger service on 3rd October 1966 – a black day which saw the closure of many stations and branch lines in the west country. (This day also saw a number of major lines in the region reduced from double to single track.) Many of the closed stations are now barely discernible beneath decades of vegetation, and it is rare for anything more than a crumbling platform to survive – yet here, the station has not only survived, but been restored to its original splendour by Simon Castens, who runs his specialist bookselling business from the premises. This photograph was taken from the B3108, approaching the Kennet & Avon Canal on the east side of the Avon Valley. The white globe atop the black pole in the foreground is a light on the private road from the B3108 to the offices of Five Hats International. 7th April 2012. (Jeff Vinter)

Right: The parish church at Monkton Combe (the first stop on the Camerton branch heading west) contains the grave of Harry Patch. It reads:

17th JUNE 1898 - 25th JULY 2009
AGED 111

An exploration of the churchyard reveals that Harry had 'good genes': his father is buried nearby, and he too lived to a good age considering that he grew up in relative poverty in Victoria rural England. Unexpected discoveries about local and national history are often a feature of the club's walks. 7th April 2012. (Jeff Vinter)

Above: A view across Midford from the Somerset & Dorset Railway shows clearly the 'other' Midford Viaduct on the former GWR line to Camerton, although it has lost its parapets and its span across the B3110. To the right of the picture, the two lines crossed, the S&D passing over the GWR. 23rd March 2012. (Jeff Vinter)