Above: A last announcement from one of the Big Four: 'Warning to Trespassers: The London & North Eastern Railway Company hereby give warning to all persons not to trespass upon any of the Railway's works, lands or property belonging to or worked by the Company. Trespassers are liable to a fine or imprisonment for every offence. By order.' This broken sign still declares part of its warning near Carron, on the former Great North of Scotland line from Craigellachie to Boat of Garten. Those who enjoy a 'wee dram' will be pleased to hear that the distilleries at Knockando, Aberlour and Dufftown are all nearby! September 2004. (Bob Prigg)

Above: This delightful property looks rather like a piece of inter-war 'mock Tudor' in leafy Surrey. In fact, it's Caton station house on the former line from Lancaster Green Ayre to Wennington, a product of the North Western Railway which favoured this style of architecture. Between Lancaster and Caton Green, this old line is now a delightful railway path. July 2006. (Ralph Rawlinson)
Above: Near Caton station house, the village's old goods shed still stands, now in use as the Catholic Church of Our Lady Immaculate. This is quite a rare re-use of an old railway building, although there are a few other examples around the country of railway buildings being turned into churches, one of the most notable being North Walsham station in Norfolk. Not far west of Caton, the railway path crosses the River Lune twice in quick succession at Crook o'Lune on a pair of very distinctive viaducts, which are featured in Photo Gallery 11. July 2006. (Ralph Rawlinson)
Above: It has clearly been a while since a train passed through Coxbench station on the former Midland Railway line from Little Eaton to Ripley (north of Derby), but what surprises us is the lighting opposite the platform. The line was opened in 1856 and served various collieries and ironworks in the Denby area. Passenger services were withdrawn on 1st June 1930, but freight trains ran from Denby to Little Eaton until 1999. North of Denby, part of the line is now used as the Ripley Greenway. Click here and here for further details. August 2006. (Phil Mullarkey)
Above: Here, we return to the Port Road – the former line from Dumfries to Stranraer – which was featured in Photo Gallery 17. This is Loch Ken Viaduct, between Parton and New Galloway. It is fortunate, and perhaps a little surprising, that the scrap metal men didn't get this one! October 2006. (Bob Prigg)
Above: The empty trackbed near Glenluce, still showing traces of ballast over 40 years after the rails were removed. There is more than a hint of autumn about this photograph, with the glowering sky, the lengthening shadows and the red berries on the hawthorn – plus two intrepid railway ramblers hoving into sight. The views from many old lines are actually much better in the winter months, when the vegetation that colonises these half-forgotten places has dropped its leaves. October 2006. (Bob Prigg)
Above: The 8 arch Glenluce Viaduct, about 8 miles east of Stranraer, is another striking feature on the Port Road, which is notable almost throughout for its extensive engineering. Unfortunately, the viaduct is rather difficult to photograph in its entirety (at least, not without walking some distance down river), but the local community clearly regards it as an important landmark, as the next photograph reveals. October 2006. (Bob Prigg)
Above: It's nice to find a community that regards its old transport heritage as something distinctive; nice also to see the antirrhinums hanging on so late in the year a final splash of colour before autumn and then winter tighten their grip. Glenluce is notable also for its ruined 12th century Cistercian abbey, now in the care of Historic Scotland. October 2006. (Bob Prigg)